Agreement made [TODAY’S DATE] between Donald Miller Words, LLC (hereafter StoryBrand) and [CLIENT NAME] (hereafter Guide).
Term for Certified Guide License
Pending a certification test after the 4-day training in [MONTH YEAR] and approval from the StoryBrand team, this Agreement certifies [CLIENT NAME] as a StoryBrand Certified Guide through [MONTH DATE, YEAR]. Thereafter, the terms of this Agreement shall automatically renew for successive one (1) year terms. The Guide’s renewal payment plan will always begin on the 15th of the month in which they were trained. If the Guide does not wish to renew the terms of this Agreement, written notice needs to be submitted to StoryBrand through the renewal form by the 1st of the month in which they were trained. At that point, the Guide’s license will expire at the end of the month they were trained.
For example, if the Guide attended Guide Training in July 2020, they could anticipate their renewal payment plan beginning on July 15, 2021. If they did not wish to renew the terms of this Agreement, they need to provide written notice to StoryBrand through the renewal form by July 1, 2021.
Guide Certification Non-Refundable Licensing Fees
First year — $9,999 for an individual Guide license
Annual renewal — $5,000
What is a StoryBrand Certified Guide?
An individual trained and licensed by StoryBrand to create marketing collateral for their customers using the StoryBrand Messaging Framework and Marketing Made Simple Framework.
Ownership and Rights of Usage
StoryBrand maintains ownership of all StoryBrand intellectual property content and rights. A StoryBrand Certified Guide is licensed during the term to use StoryBrand content to fulfill their duties and utilize the accompanying privileges as a Certified Guide. It is expressly agreed that the purchase of a license is not a purchase or transfer of ownership of any StoryBrand proprietary materials or intellectual property.
Intellectual Property License Notice
Becoming a StoryBrand Certified Guide creates a limited, revocable license for the use and presentation of StoryBrand materials exclusively as provided herein. All other rights are expressly reserved by StoryBrand. The StoryBrand materials are protected in whole and/or in part by state and federal copyright laws, trademark laws, and international treaty provisions. All title and copyrights in and to the StoryBrand materials, including but not limited to any images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, electronic applications, and accompanying printed materials incorporated into StoryBrand materials and any copies of materials associated with the StoryBrand materials, are owned by StoryBrand. No one is authorized to copy any audio, video, lesson, or Guide materials without the prior written consent of StoryBrand. If violated, StoryBrand may commence civil action seeking monetary damages, attorneys’ fees, injunctive relief, and, in appropriate circumstances, criminal prosecution, with all reasonable legal and attorneys’ fees to be paid by the infringer and/or third parties.
Licenses included in the Guide Program
• One (1) license to Business Made Simple University
• One (1) registration to the StoryBrand Guide Certification Training in Nashville
• One (1) profile listed in Guide’s name on MarketingMadeSimple.com
• A limited license to reference or use StoryBrand materials in the creation of marketing collateral
• A limited license to utilize the StoryBrand Messaging Framework and StoryBrand BrandScript in the creation of marketing collateral
• A limited license to present the StoryBrand Keynote as a means to generate leads for a Guide’s business (Guides must use approved slide deck)
As a StoryBrand Certified Guide, you will receive a commission for the following item when you sell it using your custom affiliate URL. Purchases made without the affiliate URL will not be eligible for commissions.
• Live StoryBrand Marketing Workshop, 20% commission
To receive commission for the following products, the Certified Guide is responsible for facilitating the hand-off of the prospect to the StoryBrand sales team.
• Private Workshop, 10% commission
• Guide Certification Referral, 5% commission (unique leads only)
*Commissions for all items are paid on the 1st and 15th of the month, no sooner than 15 days after the completion of the event.
Guide May Not
1. Perform workshops to teach people the StoryBrand Messaging Framework or any other curriculum found within Business Made Simple University.
2. Register or use domain names associated with the StoryBrand and Business Made Simple brands, including: StoryBrand, Clarify Your Message, Be the Guide, Business Made Simple, Made Simple, Marketing Made Simple, and any additional phrases, taglines, or slogans StoryBrand and Business Made Simple use in marketing. This also applies to social media handles and group names as well as headline copy for paid advertisements. Guide should use their own proprietary phrases, taglines, and slogans when marketing their business.
3. Point paid advertisements directly to their Guide profile on ClarifyYourMessage.com or MarketingMadeSimple.com. The URL shown in any paid advertisement may not be ClarifyYourMessage.com or MarketingMadeSimple.com.
4. Remove the StoryBrand copyright and/or logo from provided StoryBrand materials. Doing so would infer the content to be the Guide’s original content, ideas, or copyright.
5. Claim themselves as a StoryBrand representative in any other capacity than a StoryBrand Certified Guide.
6. Change, modify, edit, transfer to another format, add to, or alter in any way StoryBrand materials without the express written consent of StoryBrand.
7. Reproduce, copy, or disseminate StoryBrand materials (including an audio or video presentation of the StoryBrand keynote) in any manner or medium not authorized by StoryBrand. This prohibition includes any digital posting, reverse engineering, copying, or distribution on any web platform, YouTube, social media, or any other means of digital dissemination.
8. Use the StoryBrand logo in any way aside from on provided StoryBrand materials.
9. Display their Certified Guide badge after their term has expired.
10. Bind StoryBrand to any contract, obligation, or pledge of any nature. Guide is prohibited from entering into any agreements or making any representation that may infer liability or cause financial responsibility on behalf of StoryBrand, its employees, or assigns.
11. Make any statement or representation that would suggest or state that the Guide is employed by StoryBrand or is otherwise an agent for StoryBrand.
12. Teach the StoryBrand Messaging Framework in podcast interviews or other media appearances.
Additional Certification Terms
If Guide chooses to obtain one of the following additional certifications, they agree to the following terms:
StoryBrand Facilitator Certification
StoryBrand has developed and owns a certain unique training program and associated materials entitled “The StoryBrand 7-part Framework Workshop” (herein referred to as “the Program”). StoryBrand has authorized individuals that meet its criteria and qualifications and who are willing to undertake the required investment and effort for their use, the right to deliver the Program in accordance with certain standards. A qualified Guide is licensed to deliver the Program privately to teams from one organization at a time. This may include multiple teams from within one organization, but may not include individuals or teams from multiple organizations at one time. Guide must enter into this Agreement with StoryBrand, and Guide is willing to do so. Accordingly, the parties now agree as follows:
Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, StoryBrand hereby (i) grants Guide a non-exclusive, non-transferable limited license to deliver the Program, and (ii) grants Guide a limited license to use the Program materials in connection with such Program deliveries.
Actions on Termination. On termination or expiration without renewal of this Agreement, Guide shall immediately: (a) stop using all Program materials (workshop keynote, facilitator script, etc.) and items that contain or use the Program; (b) stop using and return all Confidential Information to StoryBrand; and (c) delete or dispose of any Program materials from personal devices such as computers, tablets, mobile devices, etc.
This additional certification includes:
• One (1) registration to the StoryBrand Facilitator Certification Training
• StoryBrand Facilitator Certification designation on Guide’s profile listed in MarketingMadeSimple.com
• StoryBrand Facilitator Certification badge to display on Guide’s website
Guide will pay for the first 6 months up front. A total of Seven Thousand Five Hundred Dollars and No Cents ($7,500.00 USD).
Six months after the initial training, Guide authorizes Donald Miller Words, LLC to charge Guide’s credit card ongoing monthly payments of One Thousand Two Hundred Fifty Dollars and No Cents ($1,250.00 USD) per month by credit card. These payments will be run on the 15th of each month. (For example: If your StoryBrand Facilitator Certification Training is on January 20th, the first monthly StoryBrand Facilitator Certification payment of $1,250.00 USD will occur on July 15th and the 15th of every month thereafter).
The StoryBrand Facilitator Certification shall automatically renew each month unless Guide provides written notice to StoryBrand via email at firstname.lastname@example.org two weeks before the next payment date stating they wish to cancel.
StoryBrand Agency Certification
StoryBrand authorizes Guide that undergoes a team training and who is willing to undertake the required investment and effort for their use, the right to obtain a StoryBrand Agency Certification. This Certification allows members of Guide’s marketing agency to create marketing collateral for their customers using the StoryBrand Messaging Framework and Marketing Made Simple Framework.
This additional certification includes:
• Team access to Business Made Simple University for Guide’s full-time team members, which are non-transferable to parties outside of agency
• One (1) team training with a StoryBrand HQ trainer
• StoryBrand Agency Certification designation on Guide’s profile listed in MarketingMadeSimple.com
• StoryBrand Agency Certification badge to display on Guide’s website
Guide ensures all team members adhere to the terms within this Agreement.
One-Time Agency Certification Training Fee:
a) After the completion of Agency Certification Training, StoryBrand Certified Guide agrees to pay Four Hundred Seventeen Dollars and No Cents ($417.00 USD) per month for a consecutive twelve (12) months by credit card. These payments will be run on the 15th of each month excluding the month the actual Agency Certification Training occurs. (For example: Agency Certification Training is completed on August 11th, the first ongoing payment of $417 USD will occur on September 15th and the 15th of every month thereafter).
b) The Agency Certification shall automatically renew for another twelve (12) month period unless StoryBrand Certified Guide provides written notice to StoryBrand by [Month before Agency Certification Training Month] 1st that it does not wish to renew the Agency Certification.
The limited rights granted to Guide hereunder are not assignable or transferable absent the express written Consent of StoryBrand. Any unauthorized transfer or assignment will be deemed void.
The StoryBrand site, its content, and all services, materials, and products associated with the site or any content or materials provided are provided on an “as-is” and “as-available” basis. StoryBrand makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the content or operation of our site or of the services. Guide expressly agrees that their use of StoryBrand’s sites or services is at their sole risk.
StoryBrand makes no representations, warranties, or guarantees, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of the content on our site or of the services, and expressly disclaim any warranties of non-infringement or fitness for a particular purpose. StoryBrand makes no representation, warranty, or guarantee that the content that may be available through the services is free of infection from any viruses or other code or computer programming routines that contain contaminating or destructive properties or that are intended to damage, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, data, or personal information. Access and use of the StoryBrand site may be interrupted from time to time for any of several reasons, including without limitation the malfunction of equipment, periodic updating, maintenance or repair of the site, or other actions that StoryBrand, in its sole discretion, may elect to take.
Indemnity and Waiver
Without waiving any other limitations or indemnity rights of StoryBrand herein, StoryBrand assumes no liability and Guide waives any claim against StoryBrand for Guide’s use of any training or materials, including any claims by individuals arising from Guide’s coaching or consulting activities. Guide hereby releases, indemnifies, and holds StoryBrand harmless from any and all claims related to Guide’s use of the training, StoryBrand materials, or any other claim arising from or related to any aspect of Guide’s activities. Guide agrees to indemnify and hold StoryBrand and its Affiliates, Officers, Agents, Employees, Members, and Third-Party Vendors harmless from any and all claims, liability, and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of Guide’s use of the StoryBrand site, services, materials, or breach of this Agreement (collectively referred to as “Claims”). StoryBrand reserve the right, in our sole discretion and at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any Claims. Guide agrees to reasonably cooperate as requested by us in the defense of any Claims.
Neither StoryBrand, nor any third-party vendor shall be responsible or liable to Guide or to any third party, whether in contract, warranty, or tort (including negligence) arising in whole or in part from Guide’s access to our site, use of our services or materials, or this agreement.
Subject to applicable law, StoryBrand, is not liable for any of the following: (a) any indirect, special, incidental, consequential, exemplary, liquidated, or punitive damages, including but not limited to loss of profit, revenue, or business; (b) damages relating to failures of telecommunications, the internet, electronic communications, corruption, security, loss or theft of data, viruses, spyware, loss of business, revenue, profits or investment, or use of software or hardware that does not meet system requirements; (c) damages or losses related to professional services or advice of third parties, including advertisers. The above limitations apply even if StoryBrand, has been advised of the possibility of such damages. This agreement sets forth the entire liability of StoryBrand, and is Guide’s exclusive remedy with respect to the services and materials referenced herein. In no event may Guide bring any claim or cause of action against StoryBrand more than one year after such claim or cause of action arises.
The maximum amount to which StoryBrand, and its affiliates, officers, employees, agents, and third-party vendors may be liable to Guide in any circumstance shall not exceed the lesser of (a) the sums paid by Guide in the preceding twelve (12) months for our services or materials or (b) five hundred dollars ($500.00).
Relationship of the Parties; Required Disclaimer
Guide agrees that StoryBrand may use Guide’s feedback, suggestions, Slack profile avatar, and ideas in any way, including in future modifications of materials, other products or services, advertising, social media, and marketing. Guide grants us a perpetual, worldwide, fully transferable, sub-licensable, irrevocable, fully paid-up, royalty-free license to use the feedback Guide provides to us in any way.
Nothing herein shall be construed as an employment or agency relationship between the parties. Guide will in no way be entitled to act on behalf of or otherwise bind StoryBrand to any obligation or liability whatsoever. These parties at all times are independent contracting parties.
StoryBrand may terminate training, any service, license, or any privilege (e.g., StoryBrand Certified Guide Directory listing) without liability or refund of any fees to Guide as follows:
• StoryBrand may terminate due to a material breach of any provision of this Agreement.
• StoryBrand may terminate this Agreement due to events of force majeure, including but not limited to acts of God, death or sickness of key personnel, natural disaster, weather, terrorism, acts of war, or other events beyond StoryBrand’s control.
• StoryBrand may revoke any licenses granted hereunder at any time if, in StoryBrand’s sole discretion, Guide misuses any license, engages in character unbecoming of a StoryBrand Guide, or if StoryBrand discovers any defect or infringement of any licensed material. Additionally, Guide is not to engage companies that are selling or promoting goods or services, which are illegal, or have, in StoryBrand’s sole discretion, immoral objectives or motives.
• In the event Guide is publicly accused of: (a) an act of moral turpitude; (b) violation of any law; (c) any other conduct which subjects or could subject StoryBrand to public ridicule, contempt, scorn, hatred or censure; or (d) conduct that could, in StoryBrand’s sole discretion, materially diminish potential sales of StoryBrand’s services or materials, then StoryBrand shall have the right to terminate this Agreement.
Additional information outlining Guide termination and refund policies can be found at storybrand.com/terms-and-conditions.
Governing Law and Venue
This Agreement, all transactions or other interactions between and among the parties will be governed by the laws of the State of Tennessee without regard to its conflict or choice of laws provisions. Any dispute with StoryBrand, or its officers, directors, employees, agents, or affiliates, arising under or in relation to this Agreement will be resolved exclusively through the state or federal courts located in Davidson County, Tennessee.
If any portion of this Agreement is deemed unlawful, void, or unenforceable by any arbitrator or court of competent jurisdiction, this Agreement as a whole shall not be deemed unlawful, void, or unenforceable, but only that portion of this Agreement that is unlawful, void, or unenforceable shall be stricken from this Agreement.
If StoryBrand does not exercise or enforce any legal right or remedy that is contained in the Agreement, such decision on StoryBrand’s part will not serve as formal waiver of our rights and that those rights or remedies will still be available to StoryBrand.
All covenants, agreements, representations, and warranties made in this Agreement shall survive Guide’s acceptance of this Agreement and the termination of this Agreement.
This Agreement represents the entire understanding and agreement between the parties regarding the subject matter of the same, and supersedes all other previous agreements.
StoryBrand may modify this Agreement from time to time. Any and all changes to this Agreement will be sent to Guide via email. Guide is deemed to accept and agree to be bound by any changes to the Agreement when Guide uses our services and materials after those changes are sent.
Signing this Agreement acknowledges that you understand the above and are competent to enter into this binding Agreement.